By David Gauntlett
Popular media current an enormous array of news approximately men and women. What influence do those pictures and concepts have on people’s identities?
The new version of Media, Gender and identification is a hugely readable advent to the connection among media and gender identities this day. totally revised and up-to-date, together with new case reviews and a brand new bankruptcy, it considers quite a lot of examine and gives new methods for pondering the media’s effect on gender and sexuality.
David Gauntlett discusses video clips reminiscent of Knocked Up and Spiderman 3, men’s and women’s magazines, television exhibits, self-help books, YouTube video clips, and extra, to teach how the media play a task within the shaping of person self-identities.
The publication includes:
- a comparison of gender representations some time past and this present day, from James Bond to Ugly Betty
- an advent to key theorists akin to Judith Butler, Anthony Giddens and Michel Foucault
- an define of inventive ways, the place identities are explored with video, drawing, or Lego bricks
- a Companion site with additional articles, interviews and chosen hyperlinks, at: www.theoryhead.com.
Read Online or Download Media, Gender and Identity: An Introduction PDF
Similar gender studies books
Nimo, Maha, Safah, Shatha, Emma, Danielle, Kim, Charlene. In a e-book that after back blends her detailed aptitude for taking pictures the feel of way of life with smart political insights, Cynthia Enloe seems heavily on the lives of 8 usual ladies, 4 Iraqis and 4 americans, through the Iraq conflict.
Heart japanese Muslim males were extensively vilified as terrorists, spiritual zealots, and brutal oppressors of ladies. the recent Arab guy demanding situations those stereotypes with the tales of normal center jap males as they try to beat infertility and childlessness via assisted replica.
Within the Gender Politics of improvement Shirin Rai offers a entire review of ways gender politics has emerged and built in post-colonial states. In chapters on key problems with nationalism and nation-building, the 3rd wave of democratization and globalization and governance, Rai argues that the gendered approach during which nationalist statebuilding occured created deep fissures and pressures for improvement.
Dieser Band aus der beliebten Reihe "Chefsache" schildert in origineller und innovativer Weise Faktoren für den Erfolg männlicher Führungspersonen. Die Beitragsautorinnen beschreiben, used to be aus ihrer Sicht Männer in Führungspositionen erfolgreich macht. So wird das gängige Klischee "Frauen lassen sich von Frauen trainieren, Männer von Männern" auf den Kopf gestellt und neue Perspektiven eröffnen sich.
- Eighties People: New Lives in the American Imagination
- Seeing Through Music: Gender and Modernism in Classic Hollywood Film Scores (Oxford Music / Media)
- Fromme Lektüre und kritische Exegese im langen 19. Jahrhundert (Die Bibel und die Frauen / Eine exegetisch-kulturgeschichtliche Enzyklopädie) (German Edition)
- Teaching Gender and Sex in Contemporary America
Extra info for Media, Gender and Identity: An Introduction