By Kate Murphy
Behind the Wireless tells the tale of girls on the BBC within the Twenties and 30s. Broadcasting was once fresh in Britain and the BBC constructed with no a number of the overt discriminatory practices general on the time. girls have been hired in any respect degrees, other than the very most sensible, for example as secretaries, documentary makers, ads representatives, and librarians. 3 ladies held Director point posts, Hilda Matheson (Director of Talks), Mary Somerville (Director of college Broadcasting), and Isa Benzie (Foreign Director). ladies additionally produced the programmes aimed toward woman listeners and taken girls broadcasters to the microphone. there has been an ethos of equality and the opportunity to upward thrust during the ranks from bills clerk to accompanist. yet lurking at the back of the façade of modernity have been hidden inequalities in recruitment, pay, and promoting and in 1932 a wedding bar was once brought. Kate Murphy examines how and why the interwar BBC created new possibilities for women.
Read or Download Behind the Wireless: A History of Early Women at the BBC PDF
Best gender studies books
Nimo, Maha, Safah, Shatha, Emma, Danielle, Kim, Charlene. In a booklet that when back blends her targeted aptitude for shooting the feel of daily life with intelligent political insights, Cynthia Enloe seems heavily on the lives of 8 traditional ladies, 4 Iraqis and 4 americans, in the course of the Iraq conflict.
Center jap Muslim males were greatly vilified as terrorists, spiritual zealots, and brutal oppressors of girls. the recent Arab guy demanding situations those stereotypes with the tales of normal heart japanese males as they try to beat infertility and childlessness via assisted copy.
Within the Gender Politics of improvement Shirin Rai presents a accomplished evaluation of the way gender politics has emerged and constructed in post-colonial states. In chapters on key problems with nationalism and nation-building, the 3rd wave of democratization and globalization and governance, Rai argues that the gendered means within which nationalist statebuilding occured created deep fissures and pressures for improvement.
Dieser Band aus der beliebten Reihe "Chefsache" schildert in origineller und innovativer Weise Faktoren für den Erfolg männlicher Führungspersonen. Die Beitragsautorinnen beschreiben, used to be aus ihrer Sicht Männer in Führungspositionen erfolgreich macht. So wird das gängige Klischee "Frauen lassen sich von Frauen trainieren, Männer von Männern" auf den Kopf gestellt und neue Perspektiven eröffnen sich.
- Crippled at the Starting Gate: The Graduate Schools Created and Perpetuate the Gender Gap in Science and Engineering
- Theories and Methodologies in Postgraduate Feminist Research: Researching Differently (Routledge Advances in Feminist Studies and Intersectionality)
- Gender and Entrepreneurship: An Ethnographic Approach (Routledge Studies in Management, Organizations and Society)
- Texas Through Women's Eyes: The Twentieth-Century Experience (Louann Atkins Temple Women & Culture Series)
- Reclaiming the Night-Time Economy: Unwanted Sexual Attention in Pubs and Clubs
- Collégiennes en quête de beauté: Entre devoir social, expression identitaire et hédonisme (Logiques sociales) (French Edition)
Additional resources for Behind the Wireless: A History of Early Women at the BBC